They are often chosen by tropical resorts, hotels and communities to line the streets and driveways because their roots won t break through roads or side-walks.
Common name: Roystonea Regia, Royal Palm – ,Royal palm, Cuban Royal Palm
Flower colours: cream-colored flowers
Bloom time: Late summer
Height: Up to 80 feet
Planting and care
Plant royals no closer to the house than 8 feet to allow room for the fronds to spread out and not be damaged by touching walls. You want to come out with enough distance that falling fronds don t damage anything (including people) underneath. Space these palms 8 to 10 feet apart when planting in a row. This palm is too big for growing in a container.
Sunlight: It will take partial shade but is happiest in a full sun.
Soil: Top soil or organic peat moss as a soil.
Water: Water needs moderate to high-it will thrive in wet swampy areas and high humidity –
Temperature: minimum temp 30 to 40 degrees C.
Fertilizer: Fertilize with a good quality granular palm fertilizer containing micronutrients – do this in spring, summer and fall.
Caring for Roystonea Regia
- Give royal palms fertilizer specially formulated for palm trees.
- It should have a ratio of 8-2-12-4Mg with micronutrients.
- The nitrogen should be in the form of resin-coated urea or ammonium salts, urea-formaldehyde or sulfur-coated urea.
- The potassium should be in the form of sulfur-coated potassium sulfate and the magnesium should be prilled kieserite.
- The micronutrients should be manganese sulfate, iron chelate and slow-release boron.